Carving an effective cover letter is a great way to highlight the relevance and unique combination of your skills, and the expanse of your experience while applying for a C-level position like Chief Financial Officer. In your cover letter, you get the opportunity to directly address the recruiter and share information that you would not mention otherwise in your resume; for example, if you are willing to relocate or getting back to work etc.
A gamut of skills, flair for business, strong credentials, and extensive relevant work experience are typically required to be eligible for the position of CFO in corporate world or any other sector. The requirements for the role are generally shared by employers in the job description, so make sure that you use the key words from it and focus on your skills and achievements that match with the requirements for the listed job.
It is important to do your research about the hiring company’s culture, operations, products and services, clients, suppliers, employees and shareholders etc. for each position that you are applying for, and tailor your cover letter accordingly to get the most out of it.
Below are some tips to write an effective Cover Letter for the position of CFO:
- Carefully read the job description to get a better sense of the hiring company’s culture and the kind of language they prefer. This will help you mirror your relevant experience and skills in the similar tone while also ensuring that it is understood at an industry level.
- Highlight the results you have achieved using your broad financial experience and by making sound financial decisions that worked in favour of your organisation. Mention your deep understanding of the business, fundamentals of budgeting, analysis, compliance, risk management, technology and financial software etc.
- Bring attention to some of the key skills that you possess like problem solving abilities, leadership skills, strategic vision, negotiation skills, cash management, strong work ethics etc. Share real situations, examples, and statistics if you have had a significant impact and contributed towards the growth and success of the organisation you have worked for. Mention any certifications, awards and accolades you have earned.
- Focus more on what values you bring to the hiring organisation and how they can be benefited by your education, skills and vast experience. In addition, emphasize that you are the perfect match for the position.
- Read your cover letter a few times and also get it proofread by another person to avoid any grammatical errors, spelling mistakes and typos. Keep your cover letter crisp and concise making sure that it fits in one page.
- In the closing paragraph, thank the employer and express your keen interest in the role as well as working with the employer organisation.
Email idHiring Manager’s Full name
RE: Position of Chief Financial Officer with XYZ (HK) Ltd. (jobsDB Ref “XYZ100000234”)
Dear Mr./Ms. (Hiring Manager’s last name)
As Finance professional with CPA and over 20 years of work experience including 12 years in leadership roles across industries spanning from multinational concerns to start-ups, I have successfully grown business for my current organization ABC Ltd. from scratch to HKD50 million and established the firm as leader in management consulting and financial advisory services.
My keen interest to take up another challenging role where I can utilize my expertise for the benefit of the organization has encouraged me to apply for the position of Chief Financial Officer with XYZ (HK) Ltd. Some of my key achievement and career highlights are listed below:
- Generated HKD 4.5 million in cash from working capital in the first 3 months post acquisition through fast-track billing, perked up collections and broadening vendor payment terms.
- Raised HKD 10 million in venture and corporate funding in 12 months; Negotiated HKD 20 million acquisition with further equity investments of HKD 7.5 million.
- Recruited, trained, led, and mentored large finance and accounting teams in 15 countries. Established and developed relations with all stakeholders including senior management, external partners, and investors.
- Provided strategic recommendations to the executive management team on long-term business and financial decisions. Managed and oversaw financial forecasting, budgets, and financial reporting system.
- Planned and executed the structure of financial software for the company ensuring technical competence within finance and accounting departments.
My detailed resume is attached for your perusal. Thank you for your time and consideration. I am open to relocation and would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss how my experience can add value to the success and growth of your organisation.
Candidate’s Full Name
Source: Cover Letter for Chief Financial Officer (CFO) in jobsDB Hong Kong